Rather than carry pages and pages of health advice directly on our site we recommend the following websites which offer a comprehensive resource for information and advice on health issues, first aid, medicines etc..
We are not responsible for the content on these external websites and you visit them entirely at your own risk. Remember that all advice is intended solely for registered patients of Silverbirch Medical Practice and that it should not be used a substitute for seeking advice from your GP. If in doubt book a consultation.
Arthritis and Chronic Persistent Pain
- Arthritis Care - Whether you’ve been recently diagnosed with arthritis, living with it for some while or think you may have the early signs, Arthritis Care are there to help. They also run regular 'Living Well With Pain' courses in Bangor which are supported by the Health and Social Care Board and Free to attend. Please contact them to find out more. 028 9078 2940.
- Menopause Matters - website providing information about the menopause, menopausal symptoms and treatment options
Mental Health and Emotional Support
- The Samaritans - confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Telephone: 08457 90 90 90.
- Lifeline - Lifeline is the Northern Ireland crisis response helpline service for people who are experiencing distress or despair. No matter what your age or where you live in Northern Ireland, if you are or someone you know is in distress or despair, Lifeline is here to help. Lifeline counsellors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to listen and help, in confidence. Telephone: 0808 808 8000
- Moodcafe - relaxation exercises, tools for managing emotions and book recommendations
- Moodjuice - advice, support and self help guides for a wide range of psychological, emotional and mental health issues
- Moodjuice Sleep Self Help Guide
- Stress Control NI - A free 6-week stress management programme. Click the link to the Facebook page to find out more.
- FamilyWorks NI - Free counselling for children and adults. Based in Newtownards. Phone (028) 9182 1721
- Holywood Family Trust - Free counselling for adults. Based on High Street, Holywood. Phone (028) 9042 7842
- Embarrassing Problems - "straight-talking good advice" on a range of embarrassing problems.
- Fit for Travel - Travel Health Information from the NHS.
- Advice NI - The Welfare Reform Advice Services Consortium (Advice NI, Law Centre NI and Citizens Advice) Offering independent advice on PIP, ESA, DLA, Universal Credit, changes to Housing Benefit, changes to Social Fund. Phone helpline 0808 802 0020.
Specific diseases and conditions
- National AIDS Trust - from UK National AIDS Trust.
- National Asthma Campaign
- Cancer Research UK - information on cancer.
- Macmillan - information for people and families affected by cancer.
- Bullying Online - helping children and their parents with bullying.
- ERIC Online - Education and Resources for Improving Childhood Continence - advice on bedwetting and soiling.
- Coeliac UK - information on coeliac disease. .
- Diabetes UK - information on Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- Epilepsy Action - from the British Epilepsy Association.
- British Heart Foundation - information and advice for patients with heart diseases.
- Heart UK - information on managing high cholesterol.
- Action Hearing Loss – (formerly RNID) – information for people affected by hearing loss.
- MIND - Mental Health advice.
- Family Planning Association - contraception and sexual health advice.
- The National Eczema Society - information for patients of all ages with eczema.
- Stroke Association - Stroke information.
- DVLA - Medical Rules for Drivers
- Addiction NI - help with drug and alcohol misuse or addiction
- Alcoholics Anonymous - help with alcohol addiction
- Alcohol and You NI - help to identify and address harmful drinking
- Choose to Live Better - advice on eating healthy, getting active and losing weight
- Family Support NI - helping families find the help they need
- The Migraine Trust - Evidence based information and support for migraine sufferers in the UK
- Allergy UK - Allergy UK is a national charity supporting allergy sufferers in the UK. They provide a dedicated helpline, support network and online forum for those with allergy
- Victims and Survivors Service - services and support for victims and survivors of the conflict/troubles
- WAVE Trauma Centre - providing care and support for people affected by the troubles in Northern Ireland
- Sexual Health NI - This website, aimed at young people and adults, offers information and advice on how to look after your sexual health. It also highlights the services available where you can get more help and advice.